Friday, July 4, 2014

A Cuban Farewell - Our last day in Havana!

Today is our last day in Cuba and everyone will surely miss our time here. Everyone that attended the trip took time to reflect on three things which are listed below:

1. What your favorite thing in Cuba was.
2. What will you miss the most about Cuba?
3. What are you looking forward to going home?

I hope that you all enjoy and are looking forward to our return to US soil!! We are very thankful for all of the support from families and allowing these wonderful students to attend!

Michael Ma
My favorite thing was driving around Havana, seeing different parts of city with all the buildings (because there is air conditioning in the bus)
I will miss the most about jamming with random Cuban musicians on the streets, even though I have no idea what they're playing.
I am definitely looking forward to high-speed Internet, e-mail, and social networks.

Esteban Anton
1. My favorite thing in Cuba was seeing how different life is and how some parts are great while others aren't. It's cool to think that we could be some of the few Americans to see an unspoiled Cuba.
2. I will miss listening to the Cuban musicians and meeting the people here. Especially in Viñales, the people were very nice and fun to talk to.
3. I'm looking forward to some hamburgers and Internet. It's been nice to be away from those things for a while. ¡Viva Fidel!

Evan Largo

1.  I adored the state-sponsored soda.  One of the benefits of three being no corporations is that no one's started replacing sugar with corn syrup.
2.  I will miss announcing in Spanish and meeting random people on the street.  They speak absurdly fast, but Cubans are quite friendly.
3.  Taxis with seatbelts, computers with Internet, English TV, carpets, potable tap water, and Papa John's.

Erik Nadeau
1. My favorite part of the trip was Viñales. I won't necessarily miss the living conditions, but the thunder and lightning storms were unbelievable. It was really fun playing baseball with the local Viñales kids, even though we lost.
2.  I will miss how music is integrated into the Cuban culture. I enjoyed seeing and listening to amazing Cuban musicians of various genres.
3. I'm looking forward to safe tap water, variation in food, and most of all capitalism.

Zahin Das
1)My favorite part was the exposure we had to so many different aspects of Cuban culture. Architecture, music, art e.t.c.  I had never been to this part of the world before so experiencing Latin America was really cool.
2) The music. A lot of our meals were serenaded and I will definitely miss the Cuban tunes that have become so familiar. 
3) Clean tap water.

Paul Lopez
1.)My favorite aspect of Cuba is the culture and music which is very mine.
2.) I will miss speaking Spanish and learning about this wonderful place.
3.) Viva Cuba 

Matt O'Donnell
1) My favorite part of Cuba was the bus rides. It was great being on a nice, comfortable, air conditioned bus, while being able to see beautiful views in the countryside,  see famous buildings and sights in Havana, and learn about Cuban culture.
2) I will miss attempting to speak Spanish with the Cuban locals, and the Cuban coffee
3) I'm looking forward to seeing my family and using my cell phone.

Drew Bassilakis
1. My favorite part was meeting new and interesting people like Pablo and Pops.
2. I will miss the beautiful Cuban terrain especially the mountain ranges and interesting and varied plants.
3. I'm looking forward to having high speed Internet and safe tap water.

Christine Bernard
1. I enjoyed the beaches the most (We all know that the Caribbean has some of the best beaches on the planet.)
2. I will miss Viñales the most, it was a nice, small community where you see the same people pretty often.
3. I am looking forward to slightly cooler temperatures along with everything else mentioned (high speed Internet, burgers, cell phone usage, etc.)

Violets Papathanasiou 
1. My favorite thing about Cuba was the relaxed culture 
2. I'm going to miss practicing my Spanglish 
3. Dogs on leashes 

Miguel Tú
1. My favorite thing about Cuba was talking to and getting to know Cuban people.
2. I'm going to miss bisabuelito (pops) and the family that took care of us in Viñales. Also will miss being called chino all the time.
3. Looking forward to getting Internet back.

Peter Zhang
1. I enjoyed visiting the Old Havana the most. The beautifully decorated buildings are truly impressive.
2. I'm going to miss the Cuban cuisine and the special drink called the San Francisco.
3. I'm looking forward to playing tennis back home.

Andrew Sudol
1. My favorite part of Cuba was seeing how different it developed as a result of communism and the embargo. Political propaganda, defunct infrastructure, and Che Guevara faces were on display everywhere. 
2. I'm going to especially miss the warm people of Cuba. Everywhere we went, there was always someone ready to talk to us. 
3. I'm most looking forward to my family, hygienic bathrooms and being able to talk to my friends again! 

Kenji Kikuchi
1. Cuban people are amazingly warm. I couldn't communicate as I wished but I liked them a lot. 
2. I will miss the music played by live musicians! The music here is real. 
3. I'm looking forward to making more music with more warm feeling I got in Cuba. The weather and people are both warm here. I'll try not to freeze the feeling in the cold winter in Boston. 

Ronnie Dixon 
1. My favorite thing about Cuba was gaining a new perspective on the world within one country. I also loved the live music, the host family I stayed with in Viñales, and meeting our trip leaders, Collin and Yvette.
2. I will miss the interactions with the locals the most and seeing all the American classic cars on a regular basis.
3. I'm looking forward to speaking with my family and friends, the Internet, McDonald's, and fitted sheets.


No comments:

Post a Comment